Tuesday, January 3, 2012

a new year

On the way to work this morning, I heard a radio host say this, "Why not call it a New Year's revolution? instead of a New Year's resolution." That does sound a bit more revolutionary, no?

Then, after my while of reading for today's cases after getting home, I picked up my book reading for the month. "The Reason for God" by Timothy Keller. Admittedly, my New Year's resolution is to read one new book each month while I continue my school work this year. A meager attempt to broaden my horizons, let's say.

It's January 3 and I'm on page 38 of 251.

It says:
"The new rebel is a skeptic, and will not trust anything... [but] therefore he can never be really a revolutionary. For all denunciation implies a moral doctrine of some kind.... Therefore the modern man in revolt has become practically useless for all purposes of revolt. By rebelling against everything he has lost his right to rebel against anything.... There is a thought that stops thought. That is the only thought that ought to be stopped." - G. K. Chesterton

No comments:

Post a Comment