Sunday, September 6, 2009

ADLs

Acivities of Daily Living (ADLs) include the following:
- washing laundry
- eating meals
- brushing teeth
- taking out the garbage
- going to the bank, etc

I'm finally in medical school, and now what?
Its the Sunday of week 4 and we just completed our first test block. Successful? We'll find out Tuesday. We have 2 more weeks until our next set of exams, so for this med student as well as any other one, its 2 weeks until my next 1 day break :) Life is planned around exams for us student doctors and we thrive on living this way.
It has taken me 3 weeks to realize the effort I will have to put in to prioritize ADLs. One not listed above is keeping in contact with all my loved ones, family and friends. To be honest, medical school can seem to be a very selfish undertaking. Everything I do could esily be motivated by self-interest. On the surfacr, everything I do could be interpreted as me doing all this for just myself. If you ask me, I would say I do this for my God, my future patients, and my family. I have to put in the time now, to be well-prepared when my day comes to serve my patients. I must succeed here in school so I can be successful out there in the real word of medical practice. And, I will weigh my success not on my board scores or my exam grades, but on my relationships with my classmates, my family, my professors, and my patients (all of these are dependent upon how well I do in school).

So, without further ado, this blog is to keep all of you posted on what I'm doing each day. You can repsond here, email me or call. My phone is mostly off during the day---with 8+ hours of lectures and labs a day I cannot always get to calls and messages quickly, but those messages are often the highlight of my day :) ...Besides uncovering a nerve in the gross lab, or finally grasping that concept in the library study room.
Medical school is doable. It takes motivation, encouragment, hard work, and humor. You have to make friends with your fellow students, your teachers, and the night-shift campus security gaurds- All of whom you get to know very well.

I hope these posting keep you in touch with my life so I can be a blessing in yours.

Off to sleep for a long study day tomorrow.

-Serennah

No comments:

Post a Comment